Valentine’s Day is a little extra special for us, as my husband proposed to me on that day! We usually don’t buy gifts, but show our caring in little ways. Below are some ideas of things to do and ways to say, “I love you,” that are free or of very minimal expense. I mean it is a day to show the ones you love (spouse, children, extended family, friend, neighbor, etc.) how much they mean to you, but it doesn’t have to cost a lot! Take a peek at my thoughts, and let me know if you have any others to share. I would love for you to post a note in the comment section below this article.
1. Handwritten note – I love seeing my loved one’s thoughts written down in their own handwriting. Typed is good too, because I love reading how they feel, but handwritten is just so meaningful and precious to me.
2. Watch a movie together – Pop some popcorn and hang out on the couch watching a movie together.
3. Get crafty – Make a cute, crafty item for your sweeties. You may only need construction paper, glitter and glue to make a special card. So many things that you and your kids can make without having to run to the store and buy anything.
4. Make a treat – I love baking, so Valentine’s Day is a great time to make something both my husband and son love, like Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (you can see my recipe here). Yummy!! They always appreciate them and that makes me feel good.
5. XOXOXO – Hugs and kisses are free and something that your kids and spouse love receiving. Give plenty today and make an effort to do it every day.
6. Go for a walk – Spending time listening, talking and walking with your loved ones makes everyone feel good.
7. Play a board game – I can’t remember the last time we sat down as a family and played a board game. It is a nice way to connect and laugh together! Some of my favorites are Yahtzee, Clue and Scrabble. What are yours?
8. Hold hands – By squeezing my husband’s hand, it gives me such a warm feeling.
9. Write a poem – A cute little poem to say how much someone means to you would be nice.
10. Phone a friend – Pick up the phone and call a friend, extended family member, etc. and see how they are doing.
11. Listen to music – Turn on your favorite music and dance!
12. Smile – It is good for you and good for the person you are smiling at!
13. Take pictures – Grab the camera and take some snapshots of you and your loved ones. Why not film each other too. I love looking back and seeing all of the fun photos from happy times. Great memories.
I am so blessed to have a super great husband and son. I love spending every day with them, and the holidays are even better. I hope that you enjoy your Valentine’s Day too with the ones you love! 🙂
[bctt tweet=”I hope that you enjoy your Valentine’s Day too with the ones you love! :)” username=”thebloggingmom”]