Over Memorial Day weekend 2017, I searched for a recipe for Pistachio Dessert. I remember having this quite often during the spring and summer months while growing up. This recipe was from a family friend, and I changed a few things up.
The original recipe called for 2 packages of instant pistachio pudding mix. I ran to the store to get some, and after unloading the groceries I noticed that one of the boxes was leaking the pudding powder! UGH!! I didn’t feel like going back, so I only used one box. I think it turned out great!!! In fact, I think the pistachio pudding would have been too overpowering with both boxes. So, what was a frustrating situation, ended up being OK! 🙂
As with most of my recipes, this is really easy to make and tastes so good!!! Enjoy! 🙂
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- First Layer
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 of an 8 oz. container of Cool Whip
- Second Layer
- 1 3.4 oz. package of JELL-O instant pistachio pudding
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- Third Layer
- 1/2 of the 8 oz. container of Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixer, blend butter, flour and sugar.
- Press batter flat into a 8 1/2 X 11 glass pan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. It might need a little longer – depending on your oven.
- Let cool.
- After crust is cool, blend first layer ingredients together – cream cheese, powdered sugar, 1/2 container of 8 oz. Cool Whip – until smooth.
- Spread over crust. I used a frosting knife, and that worked great!
- Now for the second layer. Beat instant pistachio pudding and cold milk for about 2 minutes. Put aside for 3-4 minutes to let it set.
- Spread pistachio pudding on top of the first layer.
- The last layer is the other 1/2 of the Cool Whip.
- Refrigerate and serve.